Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Movies and Jerks

The other day I was writing my post about villains and it made me curious about the actors themselves. So I skipped over to the Wikipedia and IMDb to check them out. While there I read some forum posts and the like and it occurred to me that it's very disappointing to find out that one of your favorite actors is a jerk in real life. Now I'm not talking about the celebrities that refuse to sign autographs or anything. I'm talking about people like Russell "chuck a phone" Crowe. I'm not a big celebrities person. I honestly couldn't care less about what so and so was wearing and who that guy slept with but I do have my favorites.

It's like finding out that your penpal is actually a serial killer. I mean, it doesn't really effect you personally. You didn't know this person very well and you never met them. But it's still disheartening to find out that this person you had a minor relationship with is not the cool interesting person they made themselves out to be. Thinking that your new IM buddy is sweet as hell and then they get arrested for eating babies.

For me personally, it's hard to watch a movie or a show knowing that the person pretending to be the sweet guy trying to win the hot girl is, in reality, a complete asshole. Let's take Mel Gibson for example. He makes great movies and is a very good actor. But he is also a Jew hating bastard. It's not so much that he is a racist but it was the anti-semitic comments he made to world in general. So now instead of just suspecting he is an asshole and getting to watch his movies with no problem, we know he's an asshole and now I have issue paying for a ticket to see one of his movies. Now everyone is entitled to be a jerk. That truly is the American way. But it's disappointing when the shine comes off.

Celebrities are just that, a fake. But of course we all knew that. The hot chick you took home the night before becomes a 57 year old grandma with saggy skin and no teeth in the morning. The veneer is great but the reality is usually scary. For me it's just a tad depressing when my favorite actor is really a son of a bitch that kicked a nine year in the butt for asking for an autograph. But, even then, it's not that big of a deal. Okay, they hate their fans and scream at autograph seekers. It's disappointing and won't be on my top ten list of favorites anymore but whatever. I'll still enjoy their movies and pay for a ticket.

But what about the Mel Gibsons of the world? When a person is revealed to not just be a jerk but a pretty bad person. I'm not calling for a boycott of his movies or anything. But I'm pretty uncomfortable with paying $10 to watch a good movie made by a pretty crappy human being. People pay a lot of money to own Nazi paraphernalia, stuff made by evil people. So maybe my attitude is not the norm. Maybe I am being silly. Maybe when watching a movie I should just forget about the jerk who made it. So, what do you guys think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment