Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Should I Move?

So I have a new domain but the catch is, it's a free service. I have to bring in at least 100 people a month to keep it. Which is not a problem. And since I can't afford to pay for hosting especially since this is just a hobby, this sounds like a good idea. I've been going over the pros and cons of moving but I can't decide. Should I stay on blogger or had over to www.kristensthoughts.com? The cons include the fact that I have to deal with banners on the top and bottom of the page, the pros include having my site without blogger attached. I'm not paying for a hobby that makes me no money and I happen to like blogger. But the thought of having my own name is cool. So any thoughts and opinions would be very helpful. Thanks!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hey Kirsten -- I am a really big advocate of having your own hosting if you're truly serious about blogging.

Let me tell you a true story.

Eyespi20 used to be at wordpress.com, which like blogger is a free blog host. I had 2 YEARS worth of posts when I started doing some paid posting. Next thing I knew -- with no warning, no chance to remove any offensive posts, nothing, I'm shut out of my blog and all my stuff is GONE.

I was able to recover some of the posts via google cache, but lost the greatest bit of it.

I bit the bullet and bought hosting at that point. It wasn't cheap, but I made the sacrifice. I've never regretted the decision. I make regular back-ups now of my database and wordpress, so I'll never face that awful feeling again.

There are several shared hosting packages out there that cost less that the price of a tank of gas for a year of hosting.

Holdfire.org is one of them and it's where I currently have my blog hosted. They've been super -- my blog was moved from the old host, up and running in just a few hours. I never missed a beat with posts, readers -- nothing.

Forego that new pair of shoes you are looking at and go buy yourself a hosting package! You'll never regret it (well maybe if something goes wrong, but once it's straighted out, you'll never look back).

ê¿ê

DiamondDigger said...

Kirsten, I started on blogspot too. All I did was spent $9.99 buying my domain from godaddy.com and then I had them point it at my blogspot. I have my own domain name yet it is hosted by Google/Blogger for free. I am always sure that I email each of my posts to myself so that I always have them in case something horrible happens. Or you could copy/paste each post into a word document and save. Either way there is no reason for spending more than $9.99...one time...period!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still a little hesitant about spending much money on a hobby but I might look in to the services you guys talked about. Thanks!

Mrs. Mecomber said...

I used to wonder why people would PAY for a blog when Blogger offered it for free! But I have learned my lesson. I've had Blogger problems (and I've heard Google is deleting blogs and/or inserting code) so I moved my blogs to Wordpress. Over the weekend! It's worth it, believe me.

I bought my domain names from Google, for my Blogger blogs. But I bought web hosting at Bluehost. They allow you unlimited blogs, I think. I have five hosted there already! It's a good deal, I think.

Post a Comment